This position can sit remotely.
Water is the resource of the future and at West Yost we are driven to be the water firm of choice for desirable clients and employees in our geographies. West Yost employs some of the most talented staff in the business. We are highly selective of the individuals we choose to represent the firm, seeking only those individuals whose technical abilities and commitment to client service matches West Yost’s vision for excellence.
Cyber risk is a top threat to the water and wastewater sector, making Operations Technology and Cybersecurity a top priority. West Yost provides operations technology, cybersecurity services, and resilience to clients in the water and wastewater sector across the United States to help them safeguard their systems and protect public health and safety.
The Operations Technology, Cybersecurity, and Resilience group is expanding rapidly and we are actively bringing new talent onto the team. We are looking for a candidate who wants to improve Operations Technology, Cybersecurity services, and Resilience in the water and wastewater sector with West Yost. This internship is designed to provide you with intensive training, with the intent to transition into a full-time position at the end of your internship (consider it a working extension of the interview process). We provide extensive training, guidance, and support, as well as the opportunity to experience the industry from the inside and gain valuable work experience during your journey to becoming an Operations Technology, Cybersecurity, Resilience professional in the water and wastewater sector. The focus of this role will mainly be 80% Operations Technology and 20% Cybersecurity and Resilience.
RESUME AND COVER LETTER ARE REQUIRED FOR CONSIDERATION OF YOUR APPLICATION!
After researching our website and reviewing the OTCR sector descriptions below, which of the service areas are of most interest to you and why? (please address this question within the required fields in the online application and as necessary, in your cover letter).
Services provided by our Operations Technology, Cybersecurity, and Resilience (OTCR) Group include:
Programming and Configuration
- Programming and Configuration Services are essential to help utilities consistently deliver safe drinking water to the public and treat wastewater to be safely returned to the environment. Nearly all modern control systems depend on Programming and Configuration, network security design and implementation. The implementation of these systems affects electrical, mechanical, process and nearly all other branches of engineering and design. Programming and Configuration Services offered by our team are included in engineering design and serves as the fundamental method for delivering these services. We offer Programming and Configuration Services that align to the Consequence-Driven, Cyber-Informed Engineering (CCE) methodology and implement Seismic Informed Engineering (SIE) approaches. CCE helps improve cybersecurity by adding a layer to network design, network configuration, control systems design, and control systems programming. SIE enables controls system to respond appropriately to seismic events.
- Critical infrastructure today faces numerous challenges from cyberattacks to climate change. Our Resilience Practice focuses on supporting our clients’ capacity building efforts to respond to and recover from any event that might impact their ability to serve their customers. We do this through conducting all-hazards and hazard-specific risk and resilience assessments and emergency preparedness planning, training, and exercising. We are pioneering the implementation of CCE and SIE within the Water sector to continue to bring cross-sector best practices to our clients.
- Electrical Practice Area concentrates on the safe distribution of electrical power to support SCADA improvement projects. It involves recommendations for energy efficient equipment such as the use of premium efficient motors, Variable Frequency Drives (VFD’s), LED Lighting and Time of Use (TOU) Utility analysis. Services provided are Short Circuit/Arc Flash Studies, Electrical Construction Management Support, Electrical Equipment Condition assessments and Consequence Driven Cyber Informed Engineering (CCE) to accomplish our objective of providing the highest quality of Electrical Engineering Design. Projects involve the Electrical Distribution Systems design in the form of one-line diagrams, circuit layouts and specifications for electrical distribution equipment.
Instrumentation and Controls Design
- I&C Practice Area provides instrumentation and control expertise based on decades of water & wastewater process design and practical start-up experience. OTCR’s approach is different for two important reasons:
- We actively mitigate risks and apply best practices identified by CCE.
- We apply the unique perspective of engineers who program and programmers who design to ensure that process operation is reliable and your project is constructable.
Technology Master Planning
- Our Technology Planning practice is aimed at conducting an assessment of a utility’s Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) system and helping the utility plan for upgrades to the SCADA system. Our methodology involves conducting a baseline assessment of the existing system by means of site visits, review of existing documentation, etc. Following the baseline assessment, we work through conceptual alternatives with utility staff prior to developing formal recommendations for improvements. Once utility staff agree with the baseline assessment, alternatives, and recommendations, work begins on developing a detailed implementation plan. The implementation plan consists of identifying required projects including scope of work, costs, and durations as well as developing a comprehensive project schedule for implementation of all of the identified recommendations. At the conclusion of the project, the utility is able to input budgetary costs for replacement in their Capital Improvement Program (CIP).
- Critical infrastructure is facing an increase in malicious cyber activity. It is imperative we focus on protecting civilization from a disruption to clean drinking water. Our Network & Cybersecurity Practice focuses on helping our clients with Architecture Reviews, Network Assessments, Design and Implementation services. We leverage frameworks such as NIST-CSF and others to conduct assessments and design secure architectures. Cyber hygiene alone will not stop all malicious actors so we also work with process engineers using the INL CCE methodology to integrate non-digital controls that will eliminate high consequence events.
- Through active project management, we build lasting relationships with clients and deliver quality products. Project management focuses on delivering projects within the allotted scope, schedule, and budget. At West Yost, Project Managers use tools such as Microsoft Project to manage their projects and communicate with clients
- The intern is responsible for working with the OTCR team to provide services related to cybersecurity, IoT, Networking, Servers, and systems with a water/wastewater operations scope. This person functions as an integral support, team member, and Operations Technology Specialist in-training.
- Assist with architecture design reviews.
- Assist with assessments of client operations technology environments.
- Assist with review of current processes, systems, and/or features and design/develop future state environment.
- Assist with control systems design, PLC programming, and SCADA configuration.
- Assist with development of SCADA Master Plan technical memorandums, including assessment of existing conditions, identification of conceptual alternatives and recommendations, and development of implementation plans.
- Assist with developing detailed project plans, scopes and budgets that support client’s operational goals and improve operational capability.
- Assist with supporting deployment of LANs, WANs, Wireless networks, Routers, Firewalls and other plant network hardware and technology.
- Assist with key tasks that include commissioning, upgrades, and troubleshooting issues.
- Assist with developing policies and procedures for clients.
- Assist with developing risk and resilience assessments and emergency preparedness plans.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of PLC programming and SCADA configuration.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated competence with Network communication design, computer systems, IT, and TCP/IP networking.
- Knowledge of Cybersecurity standards, frameworks, assessments, and audits (NIST800-82, AWIA, NIST-CSF, etc.).
- Understand and troubleshoot Windows server applications and operating system problems, communication equipment.
- Knowledge of risk and resilience assessment and emergency response planning, training, and exercising best practices.
- Knowledge of physical security technology and practices
- Knowledge of climate change adaptation and mitigation for water and wastewater utilities.
- Ability to establish and maintain relationships.
- Strong written and verbal communication, including documentation standards.
- Ability to consistently meet deadlines and see projects through completion.
- Strong belief system grounded in ethical behavior
- Strong attention to detail
NICE TO HAVES (Any of the following):
- Knowledge of and/or familiarity with Consequence-driven, Cyber-informed Engineering (CCE).
- Experience with, knowledge of, and/or familiarity with controls and power distribution layouts, panel layouts, hardware specification.
- Knowledge of and/or familiarity with detecting, isolating, and resolving automation, computer, and communication system problems.
- Familiarity with water/wastewater
REQUIRED EDUCATON AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Industrial Cybersecurity, Information Technology, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Math, or related degree, in progress or completed.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Emphasis on environmental/water resources engineering a plus
- Microsoft Project experience a plus
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Proven ability to managing multiple priorities and deadlines
- Must effectively communicate with all project team members
- Able to problem solve and troubleshoot as the need arises
PREFERRED CERTIFICATIONS (Any of the following):
Licenses & Certifications
Cisco Cert Network Assoc