The Elevator Pitch: Why will you enjoy this new opportunity?
Do you have a passion for technology and enjoy sharing your knowledge with others? If so, then you might be a good candidate for a career in Solution Engineering. The first step on that career path is the VMware Solution Engineering intern program.
Success in the Role: What are the performance goals during the Academy program and beyond?
During the intern program you will be faced with various challenges, but all challenges have the same goals in mind:
- Over the summer, you will gain a fundamental knowledge of VMware, our solutions, and how we help customers leverage those solutions to solve their technology and business problems.
- There is a summer long project you, with a team of your peers, will work to complete. Successful teams will set goals and milestones throughout the summer and gain not only the knowledge needed to complete the project, but also experience working with stakeholders and other resources to manage the completion of the project.
What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
The intern program is comprised of three concurrent activities that run the length of the summer.
- The first activity is the group project, this project is meant to make an impact on our business from the inside. Previous projects have required significant problem solving, the ability to learn and adapt new technologies, and fresh prospective to deliver a good end result. These projects vary from year to year and align with goals from the senior SE staff.
- The second activity is centered around VMware’s solutions. On a bi-weekly basis, you will work with a different team of internes to investigate VMware’s solutions then present your findings back to a team of SE leaders. This activity requires a lot of skills necessary to being an SE including presentation and organization skills, research, and most importantly the ability to break down complicated concepts and tools into easy to comprehend terms.
- Our third activity is shadowing SEs currently in role. This is meant to give you a good idea of what our SEs do on a day-to-day basis and illustrate how critical they are to VMware’s ongoing success.
What is leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team?
The hiring manager for this role is a Sr. SE leader in the Commercial organization with extensive experience in training and developing new college graduates for careers in the field of Solution Engineering. They have been with VMware for 6+ years and has supported the commercial segment for their entire tenure an SE from the inside and the field. Their leadership and management style starts with a belief that being a manager is a title and a set of responsibilities while being a leader is a lifestyle that transcends time in role or title and is responsible for improving the lives and careers of those around them.
The Intern team is in Austin, Texas and is usually made up of 6-10 college students. We work together to get through educational material and group projects to extend our knowledge and provide value to VMware’s business.
Where is the role located?
The Intern program takes place in Austin, Texas.
What are the benefits and perks of working at VMware?
- You and your loved ones will be supported with a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Below are some highlights, or you can view the complete benefits package by visiting www.benefits.vmware.com.
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan Medical Coverage, Retirement, and Parental Leave Plans for All Family Types
- Generous Time Off Programs
- 40 hours of paid time to volunteer in your community
- Financial contributions to your ongoing development (conference participation, training, course work, etc.)
- Wellness reimbursement and online fitness and wellbeing group classes
*Please note that while anyone with a legal right to work in the U.S. may apply for this role, VMware is not presently sponsoring work visas for the entry-level roles for which these Internships may prepare you.