Human Resources Department
101 Schaumburg Court
Schaumburg, IL 60193
Public Works Intern – Unpaid
The Village of Schaumburg employs approximately 600 employees in a variety of departments within the organization, such as police, fire, public works, engineering, finance, human resources, cultural services, community development, information technology, and transportation. Our employees work to serve the residents and strive to make Schaumburg the best community it can be. Schaumburg is a thriving community of 75,936 residents located 12 miles west of O’Hare International Airport and approximately 26 miles northwest of the City of Chicago. The community is the base of the second largest concentration of retail, office and commercial activity in the state of Illinois and was recently named by Money Magazine as one of the Top 10 Best Places to Live!
· The intern will gain insight into how the Engineering and Public Works Department is responsible for maintaining village-owned properties and equipment and focus on workflow analysis.
Essential Internship Functions:
· Travel with field staff to document specific labor processes
· Diagram labor processes into formal workflows and verify against asset management software
· Work with Management Analysts to identify areas of improvement for labor or data collection
· Determine Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to measure labor performance
· Currently enrolled in, graduated or interested in a college program in Engineering, Public Works, or Public Administration
· Ability to think quantitatively about work processes
· Organizationally-minded individual
· Inquisitive and independent
Internship Schedule (days/hours offered)
· The project is split between onsite and off-site work.
· Onsite work must be conducted during the work week sometime during field staff hours, 7:30 AM – 3:30 PM.
Interested? Please complete a Volunteer Application and select “Engineering and Public Works” as department of interest.
THE VILLAGE OF SCHAUMBURG IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER