Science Education Intern (Spring 2022)
Van Andel Institute (VAI) for Education is dedicated to strengthening science education through programs that provide hands-on, inquiry-based learning opportunities across the educational spectrum, for elementary to high school students and teachers. VAI offers programs to engage students, teachers, and community members in science and promote science-related fields for all children, regardless of gender, race, or socioeconomic status. VAI is committed to increasing the number of students who will be prepared and motivated to pursue a science-related field.
VAI is seeking undergraduate degree students and pre-service teacher candidates to gain skills and knowledge in K-12 science education instruction and curriculum development. Education Interns will have the opportunity to support VAI staff in the coordination, delivery, and refinement of student programs and other organization initiatives.
- 8 – 20 hours / week
- 16 weeks starting as early as January 10 and continuing through May 29.
- Potential to continue internship in Fall 2022
- $11.00 – $13.00 / hour
- Pay rate dependent on the number of undergraduate or graduate credits earned.
- Provide direct support for student programs.
- Assist in the delivery of VAI Education Student Programs. Possible programs include:
- Afterschool Cohort Programs – intensive science programs offered afterschool to 4th -7th grade students
- Field Trips – offered to K-12 classrooms and their teachers during the school day
- Monitor and support individual students or small groups of students.
- Encourage student participation and teamwork utilizing a variety of instructional strategies, including effective use of technology and media.
- Assist in the preparation of lesson materials, supplies, and equipment.
- Support the setup and removal of classroom materials to be used during instructional periods.
- Participate in relevant staff meetings and trainings.
- Perform all other tasks as requested to support Van Andel Institute education initiatives.
- Interest in supporting student curiosity, creativity, and critical thinking.
- Desire to gain skills and knowledge in K-12 science education instruction and curriculum development.
- Pursuit of Elementary or Secondary Education degree with a major in science preferred.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a flexible team.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Pass required background checks and drug tests.
Submit the following:
- Resume or CV
- Cover Letter outlining why you are interested in this role and how this position aligns with your goals
- Names and contact information (emails and phone numbers) for 3 references
If you have any difficulty uploading your application or any questions, please email Natalie Rinaldi at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All offers of employment are subject to background checks and drug screens prior to start date.
VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply.
Van Andel Institute is an EEO and Affirmative Action Employer