UNS Energy Corporation, headquartered in Tucson, Arizona, is a subsidiary of Fortis Inc., the largest investor-owned electric and gas distribution utility in Canada. UNS Energy Corporation’s public utility subsidiaries, Tucson Electric Power Company, UNS Electric, Inc. and UNS Gas, Inc., provide electric and gas service to customers in southern and northern Arizona. For more information about UNS Energy Corporation, visit http://www.uns.com.
Tucson Electric Power provides safe, reliable electric service to approximately 433,000 customers in Southern Arizona. We provide the energy behind Tucson’s economy. We also embrace a spirit of giving, dedicated to improving quality of life in the community we have served since the 1890s. We’re building a cleaner, greener grid, with more wind and solar power than ever before, while maintaining safe, reliable and affordable service. Our culture is rooted in shared core values and shaped by a team of innovative, dedicated and engaged professionals who power our vision and make a difference every day.
In return, TEP offers a competitive compensation and benefits package that includes a 401k plan with a generous company match, a company-sponsored pension plan, tuition reimbursement, life insurance, long-term disability insurance and much more.
We are currently seeking a talented individual for the position of IT Energy Systems Application Engineer Analyst I, II, III, or Senior. The successful candidate will work directly with the Advanced Distribution Management Systems (ADMS) and Energy Management Systems (EMS) applications for real-time electric grid operations.
The ITES Application Engineer Analyst supports, configures, and maintains critical power control systems to keep them reliable, available, secure, and compliant with regulatory requirements. You will work with a team dedicated to supporting these 24×7 primary and redundant systems and the electric system operators that use them to control and monitor the electric grid. Position responsibilities are:
- Performing hardware, software and system installation, integration and testing for power systems applications and projects.
- Supporting integrated power control system applications and databases using supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) for remote control & monitoring, historian archives, advanced electrical modeling applications,
- Demonstrating strong IT system administration and cyber security best practice skills.
- Managing stringent uptime requirements by coordinating between users, redundant systems, sites, and processes.
- Planning, integrating, testing and commissioning schematics, databases, UI’s and displays to support grid operations processes.
- Developing and maintaining power system application models, interfaces, processes, reports, and documentation.
- Providing client support and assistance as needed and during a shared on-call rotation.
- Creating training materials and project documentation as needed.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Understanding of computer architecture, networking, databases and operating systems
- Strong commitment to providing superior customer service
- Excellent organization, interpersonal and leadership skills
- Ability to travel, as required, and support the 24×7 real-time control & monitoring systems and business clients
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical, Computer, or Systems Engineering, Computer Science or related disciplines or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- 2 Years of professional experience.
- Experience with products and functionality in mapping, power control system applications or similar discipline.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience with demonstrated abilities in project management and business requirements definition.
- Ability to exercise flexibility, initiative, good judgment and discretion.
- Good organizational, time management, customer service and problem-solving skills and the ability to work accurately and meet deadlines with frequent interruptions.
- Preferred qualifications of Level I.
- 2 years’ experience with products and functionality in power control systems applications or similar discipline.
- Demonstrated aptitude for client needs assessment and requirements definition
- Typically has a minimum 7 years of demonstrated experience in application development, requirements definition, program development and systems design.
- Demonstrated ability to envision new software solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to make presentations to customers or professional peers.
- Preferred qualifications of Level II.
- 5 years’ experience with products and functionality in power control systems applications and business processes.
- Demonstrated aptitude for team leadership and project management techniques.
- Typically has a minimum 10 years of experience in Power Control Systems or Information Technology with demonstrated experience and expertise in programming, project management, program development and systems design.
- Demonstrated ability to lead project teams of technical resources, or serve as a project Technical Lead.
- Detailed understanding of the business processes supported.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare reports that identify trends and make the appropriate recommendations or conclusions for improvement.
- 8 years’ experience with products and functionality in power control systems applications and business processes
- Knowledge of and experience using process improvement disciplines
- Demonstrated aptitude for project and resource scheduling and budgeting experience.
- Successful team leadership and project management experience