Trimble loves UI and UX and our team is growing!
The Central User Experience team at Trimble is looking for a talented and detail-oriented UX Research Intern.
About our Team
The Trimble UX Team supports an exciting portfolio of software and hardware products for professional users, utilizing emerging and state of the art technologies such as MR/VR, robotics, mobile, and autonomous solutions. These products may be used in construction sites, agricultural fields, or the transportation industry. The diversity of products gives our UX professionals the opportunity to work on a variety of projects.
Trimble’s products put the latest in hardware (e.g., 3D scanners, GPS and GIS, drones, and VR/MR equipment) and software (e.g., 3D modeling software, collaborative platforms, and mobile apps) into the hands of these professionals to make their work more effective and efficient. By doing so, we help construction, agricultural, and transportation industries become more sustainable.
Our Trimble UX Team consists of designers, information experience professionals, and researchers. Team members work in small collaborative pods organized by subject matter areas, enabling us to learn from each other and providing support through mentoring and joint brainstorming sessions. The UX Research Intern would be a member of the UX Research pod. The guiding values of the UX Research pod are:
- Collaboration – Share insights and build community to offer/receive feedback
- Rigor – Plan thoughtfully, take all measures to limit bias, use proven research methods, and report results accurately
- Professional Growth – Continue to learn and grow as professionals while contributing back to the UX field and society
- Innovation – Go above and beyond, explore new methods, take risks
For the duration of this internship, you will be placed with one or a small number of more senior researchers and designers, where you will have the opportunity to support a specific Trimble product. In this role, you will help with the execution of a larger design/research effort by assisting with user research or usability studies. Through this hands-on experience, you will gain valuable exposure to the entire user-centered research and design process and learn how to fit it into the agile development process. You will also have the opportunity to learn about many other product designs that are supported by the greater team.
What you will be asked to do:
- Work with a senior researcher to
- Plan research initiatives
- Design surveys
- Conduct interviews
- Facilitate usability testing
- Manage and transcribe data in Dovetail
- Analyze quantitative and qualitative data
- Report key findings
- Participate in team meetings and learn about other projects
What we expect from you:
- An undergraduate degree (or working towards) in human computer interaction, product design, psychology, anthropology, sociology, educational technology, human-centered design and engineering, or the like
- Strong interest and curiosity about UX research
- Desire to collaborate and learn from others
- An eagerness to learn about all things UX/UI
- Capacity to learn by doing, and willingness to accept direction
- A learning mindset, meaning you try and fail, and use the opportunity to expand your knowledge and skills
- Willingness to contribute your own creativity and originality
- Expected hours: 40 hours Mon-Fri over Summer