Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around January or February 2022 and continue through the entire Spring term (i.e. through April/May) or into early Summer 2022 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships. Please consider before submitting an application.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school before applying. You must be able to work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time depending on their academic standing.
Internship Programs at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. Our year-round program places the best students in positions that they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their Manager, Mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows the intern to experience life at Tesla by giving them projects that are critical to their team’s success.
Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, you’ll be seated at the table making critical decisions that will influence not only your team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
- Palo Alto, CA
- Fremont, CA
- Austin, TX
- Reno, NV
- Hawthorne, CA
About Mechanical Design in Vehicle Engineering
Mechanical Design Engineering (MDE) interns will work on all aspects of the mechanical design process, including design, analysis, prototyping, and validation of components and systems for Tesla vehicles. As an MDE intern, you can expect to contribute to a variety of projects depending on team requirements, challenging you to come up with creative solutions to affect rigorous quality and cost-down targets. Additionally, you will work collaboratively with cross-functional partners, external vendors, and suppliers.
What to Expect
Qualified applicants may be reviewed by one or more of the following teams:
- Body in White Engineering
- Charge Port Door Engineering
- Chassis Engineering
- Closures Engineering
- Design Quality Engineering
- Dimensional Engineering
- Drive Inverter
- Drive Systems Structures
- Exteriors Engineering
- Interiors Engineering
- Mechanical Drive Systems
- Motor Design
- New Programs Engineering
- Noise, Vibration, & Harshness Engineering
- Passive Safety Engineering
- Power Electronics Hardware
- Research & Development
- Restraints Design Engineering
- Seat Design Engineering
- Thermal Engineering
- Vehicle Controls & Vibrations
- Vehicle Integration
- Currently working towards a BS, MS, or advanced degree in a relevant engineering program such as Mechanical Engineering, Automotive Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or Mechatronics.
- Proficiency designing in a 3D CAD software (CATIA proficiency is a plus).
- Experience creating engineering drawings (GD&T experience is a plus).
- Proven interest in mechanical design engineering through extracurricular activities, academic projects, passion projects, or equivalent experiences (proven automotive or sustainability interest is a plus).
- Excellent grasp of engineering fundamentals.
- Eagerness to collaborate cross-functionally with other engineering teams while able to work independently; detail-oriented and execution focused.
- Genuine curiosity and willingness to understand how our products are designed, built and how they operate.
Tesla participates in the E-Verify Program
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step-by-step tutorial can be found here).