Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around January or February 2022 and continue through the entire Spring term (i.e. through April/May) or into Summer 2022 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships. Please consider before applying.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school before applying. You must be able to work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time depending on their academic standing.
Internship Program at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. Our year around program places the best students in positions that they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their Manager, Mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows for the intern to experience life at Tesla by given them projects that are critical to their team’s success.
Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, you’ll be seated at the table making critical decisions that will influence not only your team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
- Fremont, CA
- Palo Alto, CA
- Lathrop, CA
- Sparks, NV
- Buffalo, NY
- Austin, TX
About the Team
Tesla is seeking highly motivated post-secondary interns to develop and engineer new processes and high-volume automation equipment. You will work closely with Tesla’s internal Product Design, Operations, Facilities, Production and Quality Engineering teams and coordinates cross-functional design activities with tool vendors to develop new Drive Unit, Power Electronics, or Global Battery manufacturing equipment. You will assume full ownership of the design and technical transfer of the line’s tools to Tesla Operations, qualifying them for use with the highest standards of safety, quality, and output.
What to Expect
Qualified applicants may be reviewed by one or more of the following teams:
- Global Battery Manufacturing Engineering
- Power Electronics & Energy Products Manufacturing Engineering
- Drive Unit Manufacturing Engineering
- Motor Manufacturing Engineering
- Currently working towards a BS, MS, or advanced degree in a relevant engineering program – Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechatronics, Manufacturing Engineering, Industrial Engineering, or other relevant degrees.
- Self-managed and committed to working in a fast-paced environment.
- Hands-on experience is a must.
- Professional and positive communication skills.
- Proven interest in Tesla’s mission to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy – through extracurricular activities, academic projects, passion projects, or equivalent experiences.
- Excellent grasp of engineering fundamentals.
- Eagerness to collaborate cross-functionally with other engineering teams while able to work independently; detail-oriented and execution focused.
- Genuine curiosity and willingness to understand how our products are designed, built and how they operate.
- Proficient with computer-aided design (CAD) software such as CATIA or SOLIDWORKS.
- Previous internship and/or related project experience.
- Experience with semi-automated / automated manufacturing equipment.
- Experience in a high-volume factory environment.
- Experience with design of tooling, jigs, and fixtures.
- Experience in Design for Manufacturability (DFM) and Design for Assembly (DFA).
- Understanding of statistical tools such as Process Capability (Cp, Cpk) and Gauge Repeatability and Reproducibility.
- Experience with 3D modeling.
- Experience with part and assembly 2D drawing.
- Strong analytical/problem solving skills with demonstrated ability to learn concepts quickly.
- Understanding of Geometric Design & Tolerance (GD&T).
Tesla participates in the E-Verify Program
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step-by-step tutorial can be found here).