Make a Difference
SWIB is a trusted and skilled global investment organization managing the assets of the Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS) and other separately managed funds. With about $144 billion in total assets under management, SWIB has been recognized by the investment industry for its teamwork and innovation that helps make it a premier asset manager. Sophisticated investment management strategies, forward-looking technologies, and strong internal asset management make SWIB a leading investment organization.
For public employees in Wisconsin, SWIB is a unique and valuable partner. Investing for the financial security of more than 652,000 individuals – and for the 1,500 Wisconsin employers who contribute on behalf of their employees – SWIB’s strong management of the WRS has helped fuel one of only a few fully funded public pension funds in the country. SWIB’s long-term investment returns meet the challenges of a constantly evolving investment landscape while helping grow and protect the assets of the WRS, which is consistently among the top 10 largest public pension funds in the U.S.
We are a mission driven organization and the participants we serve are our mission. By bringing a disciplined, prudent, and innovative approach to market opportunities, SWIB has been successful in generating reasonable returns and maintaining the trust of the beneficiaries and stakeholders of the funds we oversee.
Real World Experience
This is your opportunity to gain professional experience working for one of the nation’s top public pension fund investment organizations. We are looking for a dynamic, energetic intern who is eager to be a part of our dedicated team. SWIB’s intern program offers an opportunity for you to put your skills to use while at the same time to learn new skills in a professional environment. Our internship program is designed to provide meaningful work through hands-on, authentic, professional experiences.
About the Team
The Private Markets and Funds Alpha Operations team is responsible for providing middle and back office operational support for SWIB’s Private Market and externally managed Fund investments. With a diverse mix of private equity, real estate, private debt, and externally managed hedge funds, equity funds and fixed income funds, members of the team support a wide spectrum of assets and strategies.
- Support onboarding of new investments to ensure operational readiness to initiate cash flows and related transactions. Provide trade support through analyzing and maintaining complex, non-traditional investments that involve non-standard contracts, trade processing, clearance, valuation, investment and operational due diligence reports, security reference, and documentation.
- Administer the daily, weekly and monthly accounting/reporting activities of Accounting Book of Records (ABOR) and Internal Book of Records (IBOR).
- Examine and analyze accounting records to assess accuracy, and completeness including net asset value, realized and unrealized gain/losses, expenses and accruals.
- Research and resolve escalated daily position and cash reconciliation discrepancies.
- Review complex management and performance fees for private market asset class investments.
- Monitor operational metrics and measures.
- Serve as operational support for organizational strategic and departmental initiatives and projects.
- As assigned, assist supervisor or other operations areas with data entry and analysis and other special needs/projects.
The Ideal candidate:
- Undergraduate student pursuing a degree in business, accounting, economics or finance.
- Excellent computer and application skills including MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to present ideas clearly and articulately.
- Superb work ethic, attention to detail, team orientation, and commitment to excellence
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability and desire to work in a team environment as well as dive into projects individually.
- Ability to be adaptive, accountable and thrive in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment.
Join HIGHER PERFORMERS
Home to Top Talent
SWIB’s professionals shape sophisticated investment management strategies, by driving progressive technologies, and by delivering strong internal asset management results. SWIB’s internal team invests over 50% percent of its assets under management in house. As a result, Institutional Investor recognizes SWIB as “home to top talent in American public investing.”
“The organization has earned a reputation for investment excellence in part by running much of its portfolio successfully in-house versus outsourcing to Wall Street” – Institutional Investor.