Title: BLM Visitor Information Individual Placement
Start/End Date: February 14th, 2022 – November 18th, 2022
Stipend: $570.00/week (+Education Award)
Term: 40 weeks
Reports To: Bureau of Land Management – Royal Gorge Field Office
Location: Canon City, CO 81212
Status: 1200-hour AmeriCorps Service Term
Benefits: AmeriCorps Education Award $4,441.50 after successful completion
Southwest Conservation Corps’ Mission
It is the mission of the Southwest Conservation Corps to empower individuals to positively impact their lives, their communities, and the environment.
The Bureau of Land Management’s (BLM) Royal Gorge Field Office (RGFO) administers more than 668,000 surface acres of public land along the Front Range of Colorado and 6.8 million sub-surface acres. Since the field office spans such a large area, it covers a variety of terrain and is involved in a multitude of initiatives and programs. This position is located in Canon City, Colorado where ethe BLM provides an integral service to the public visiting and using the resources of the area. This individual will work in a visitor center to provide customer support such as providing information about recreation sites and activities, selling maps and other publications, and selling commercial use permits for fuel wood, Christmas trees, or decorative rock. These are services that the public and the community has come to rely on. This individual will also assist with other duties in assisting programs such as range and recreation. Essential functions and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Visitor Information Services
- Staff the RGFO Visitor Center front desk
- Provides accurate information and assistance to callers and visitors about BLM/USFS rules and regulations, RGFO/SCRD facilities and recreation activities, the surrounding public lands, and local areas
- Provides customers with requested information by phone, in person, email, or mail
- Distributes maps and brochures, orients visitors to facilities and amenities, promotes educational programs, etc
- Answers telephones, transfers messages, utilizes paging system, and responds to e-mail requests
- Documents, assists with, and reports visitor contacts and/or complaints
- Mailroom Support
- Processes incoming and outgoing mail and deliveries
- Distributes mail to appropriate staff inboxes
- Ensures all incoming mail is inspected for checks or payments and route accordingly
- Conducts sales of Federal Recreation passes, forestry product permits, recreational mineral notices, books, and maps
- Operates a cash register and an iPad for credit card payments
- Miscellaneous duties
- Manages, orders, and maintains inventory of BLM maps, brochures, pamphlets, etc.
- Photocopies, scans, and filed documents, reports, and other data to support natural resource programs
- Operates a 2-way radio and responds to emergencies and other incidents to assist RGFO staff, the public, and other agencies
- May assist with planning and presenting special events or programs within the field office
- Cleans and maintains office area, fax machine, and printer/copiers
- Other duties as assigned
The successful applicant must be self-motivated and able to work independently with limited supervision after the initial training period. The applicant must be able to maneuver and operate in a mixture of office and field work. This can include long periods of standing or walking on rough, uneven ground, bending, crouching, and stooping. Applicant must have a valid driver’s license and a good driving record. Prior to starting this position, a government security background clearance will be required.
- High school diploma
- Basic understanding of public land and the resource the BLM manages
- Good interpersonal skills
- S. Citizenship
- Permanent Resident Card, INS form I-551
- Alien Registration Card, INS form I-551
- A passport indicating that the INS has approved it as temporary evidence of lawful admission for permanent residence
- A departure record (INS 194) indication that the INS has approved it as temporary evidence of lawful admission for permanent residence
- Driver’s License
To apply, please submit an updated resume and letter of interest along with the online application.
Position will be open until filled. Looking for candidates that can start as soon as possible.
Contact Cait at email@example.com with any questions.