Smithsonian Associates Adult Education Programming and Special Events Virtual Intern
ABOUT SMITHSONIAN ASSOCIATES
Smithsonian Associates advances the Smithsonian Institution’s mission “to increase and diffuse knowledge” through life-enriching educational and cultural experiences inspired by the Smithsonian’s research and collections for DC-region students, families, and adults, and for learning communities nationwide.
Intern will assist with all aspects of Associates’ core programming, including:
• Research, booking, budgets, speaker selection, contract negotiation, space rental, catering, technology requirements, logistical set-up, and marketing
• Event implementation, including greeting the general public and answering questions; helping with set-up and clean-up; and supporting vendors, partners, speakers and performers by addressing equipment, technical, and other needs
• Assist with staffing duties during some evening and weekend programs
• Assists the programming department with additional duties as assigned.
Students should consult with academic faculty to determine if this unpaid experience will earn credit.
By working closely with the program coordinators, the intern will gain experience in all aspects of program and event production, including: budgeting, performance reporting, customer service, trouble-shooting/problem-solving, adapting to different situations, multi-tasking, creative thinking, researching, coordination at events, creating and maintaining inventories, editing promotional materials, communication, box office and house management, organization and time management, event management.
• Experience and/or interest in educational public programming, museum programming, house management, arts management, and/or event planning
• Background or strong interest in culture, art, science and/or history or event planning required
• Ability to work quickly with attention to detail both independently and as a team
• Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
• Must be able to interact with many different types of people while maintaining a professional demeanor
Hours flexible; 1 full semester
Monday to Friday, timing flexible
Lauren Rosenberg and Heather Jaran, Program Coordinators
All Associates internships are unpaid and housing is not provided. College credit may be granted, but must be coordinated in advance with the intern’s university/college.
Prospective interns are required to submit the following:
1. Application for Smithsonian Institute Internships
2. Two letters of recommendation (usually from professors)
3. A short essay (no more than 3 pages) addressing the following points:
_Your past and present academic history and other experiences which you feel have prepared you for an internship.
_What you hope to accomplish through an internship, and how it would relate to your academic and career goals.
_What about Smithsonian Associates in particular interests you and leads you to apply for an internship.
4. Most recent transcript (unofficial transcripts are acceptable)
Interns at the Smithsonian are required to undergo a security background investigation and fingerprinting through the Office of Protection Services before they are accepted into an internship.
All academic appointees must be fully vaccinated for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) with a Food and Drug Administration (FDA) authorized (or, for international remote interns, a WHO-recommended) COVID-19 vaccine or have an approved Reasonable Accommodation granting an exemption from vaccine requirements. Please see additional information regarding reasonable accommodations here: https://ofi.si.edu/internship-opportunities/
• Winter/Spring: January to May
• Summer: June to August
• Fall: September to December
To be considered in the first round of applications, please submit your materials by the following dates:
• Winter/Spring Positions: October 1
• Summer Positions: February 1
• Fall Positions: July 1
Applications received after these dates will still be considered on an as-needed basis.
SMITHSONIAN ASSOCIATES WEBSITE
Intern positions at Smithsonian Associates are available year-round. For more information go to https://smithsonianassociates.org/ticketing/internships/start.aspx
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE CONTACT
Ms. Heather Jaran