Location: Shakopee, MN, US
About our group:
Seagate is currently looking for an excellent graduate student to fill in an intern position as a Silicon Photonics Test Engineer. The successful candidate will be responsible for high speed silicon photonic integrated chip (PIC) characterization of Silicon Photonic devices. You will work closely with other photonic component design engineers for device design, and analysis.
About the role – you will:
Your responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Model and Design PIC
- Characterize performance of a silicon photonic chip for beam steering and / or high-speed optical communication
- Analyze the test data over multiple dies
- Research Areas of Interest / Skills:
- Comsol – Semiconductor module (or similar).
- Finite Difference Time Domain Modeling.
- COMSOL Multiphysics modeling.
- Optics and Optoelectronics.
- Photonic Integrated Circuits.
- Optical Phase Arrays.
- Must have a MS, currently pursuing a PhD degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics, Optical Science or related technical discipline
- Minimum 1+ years of relevant hands-on experience in photonic component design and characterization including laser, modulator, and photodiode
- Minimum 1+ years of experience in various optical design/simulation tools such as Lumerical FDTD /Mode solutions as well as high speed simulation tools such as High Frequency Structure Simulator (HFSS)
Your experience includes:
- Background in optical waveguide, semiconductor laser, electro-optic modulator, and PIN/APD photo detector
- Previous experience in Silicon Photonics
Our Shakopee campus is located 25 minutes southwest of Minneapolis in a setting with a rural vibe – it overlooks a horse racing track and stables, yet it has great entertainment venues close by as well. With wide-open spaces, the campus has plenty of space for running, biking, shooting some hoops or playing volleyball over lunch. If working out is your thing, the on-site fully equipped fitness center hosts wellness programs, tournaments and group workouts. Hungry? Seagate offers an on-site café with freshly sourced foods and specialty coffees, or if you prefer, drive to one of many restaurants just minutes away.
Other Important information:
United States Only – Seagate believes that vaccines are one of the most powerful tools to fight COVID-19 and maintain a safer workplace. Proof of a completed COVID-19 vaccination is required for all US-based employees of Seagate. This requirement applies to all employees and locations in the United States including those employees working remotely, consistent with the requirements under Executive Order 14042 for federal contractors/sub-contractors. Seagate will consider exceptions to this policy for medical or religious reasons on an individualized basis.
Seagate’s EEO Statement – Seagate provides an environment where equal opportunity is available to all. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, ethnic or national origin, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex (which includes pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, perceived or actual religious creed or political opinion, military and veteran status, taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, taking or requesting a reasonable accommodation for a protected basis, or other basis protected by applicable law. Company-sponsored training, education, degree assistance, and social and recreational programs are also included. EEO is the Law Poster, EEO is the Law Supplement Poster, & OFCCP Pay Transparency Provision Information.