About The Position
The Police Records Specialist works daily with sensitive and highly confidential information and is relied upon by the department to safeguard data and ensure our compliance with federal and State laws. The Police Records Specialist also performs customer service assistance to both internal and external customers, complex record keeping to include data management, proofreading, scanning, maintenance of digitized records management system, and other administrative work as needed.
Education and Experience:
- A high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) equivalent.
- Two years of experience and/or training in customer service, or work in a related field.
- Proficiency in data entry and keyboarding which will be determined by a validated test.
Licensing, Certifications and Other Requirements:
- Obtain and maintain a Level “A” Arizona Criminal Justice Information System (ACJIS)certification. Training is provided on duty and certification testing is completed within first six months of hire.
- Requires successful completion of Interstate Identification Index (III) background investigation. Training is provided on duty and certification testing is completed within first six months of hire.
- Every person employed by the City of Scottsdale shall reside in the State of Arizona during his or her active employment by the City, regardless of whether the employee is approved to remote work.
Performs duties and responsibilities commensurate with assigned functional area within a department(s) which may include, but are not limited to, any combination of the following:
- Enters, queries, and retrieves data, source documents and reports from a variety of dedicated computer networks to include police department, city, state, county and federal computer systems.
- Responds to incoming telephone calls by appropriately routing or resolving them according to protocol or as trained.
- Provides exceptional customer service during difficult situations which may occur either by telephone or personal contact.
- Completes all ACJIS functions, including Level A responsibilities following all national and state protocols and instructions.
- Performs redactions of all documents, video and audio media held by the SPD prior to release in accordance with department policy and Arizona Code.
- Compiles, amends and otherwise prepares electronic and physical documents from diverse formats and systems to create uniformed and legally sufficient items for release to courts, prosecutors, government agencies, media and members of the public.
- Prepares various background and/or departmental report requests for courts and prosecution.
- Performs quality control examination and correction of all citations and long form submittals. These forms are recognized as formal charging documents and are subjected to Records Section review and approval prior to forwarding to the prosecutor’s office for consideration.
- Receives cash and prepares deposits for all Records related police and fire department matters.
- Serves as the police department point of contact for all public records, pre-payable City citations, traffic collision reports and matters pertaining to primary customer service.