Job location is in Salk North (Torrey Pines)
Procures laboratory and administrative supplies and services within the level of delegated authority, and for assigned set of goods and services. Reviews Salk Client requisitions, recommends supply sources within established networks, negotiates and confirms price, payment terms, delivery and other requirements to meet the needs of Salk Clients while adhering to applicable internal and external policies and procedures. Documents procurement method, source selection and price reasonableness as required. Issues Purchase Orders and follows up as necessary to prevent and resolve supplier performance problems when they arise. Provides customer service support including expediting Purchase Orders, processing Change Orders, handling returns, resolving invoice discrepancies and following up on overdue orders. Develops and maintains supplier relationships.
As directed, selects or recommends suppliers based on requirements for quality, quantity and other specifications; solicits and analyze competitive quotes for procurement transactions under the small dollar threshold. Position may be required to perform administrative and procurement support duties such as; data management, generation of activity reports and spreadsheets, filing and document control; phone and customer service support, and other administrative duties as directed.
1) Procurement (60%)
- Reviews and interprets Salk Client requisitions for goods and or services. Obtains additional backup information as required. Conveys any terms and conditions that may apply to requests.
- Solicits prices from suppliers orally or in writing for scientific, facilities and administrative supplies and services.
- Evaluates and analyzes quotes, verifies pricing, places orders, and issues Purchase Orders as authorized.
- Expedites overdue Purchase Orders and works with Logistics Operations staff, Salk Clients and suppliers to resolve shipment discrepancies and damaged goods.
- Assists Finance/Accounts Payable staff to resolve invoice discrepancies when necessary.
- May serve as resource to others in providing guidance on SalkShop and general procurement policies and procedures.
- Supports other Buyers by providing back up during absences and other situations.
- Escalates and involves management as directed.
2) Customer Service and Communication (20%)
- Works with laboratory and department administrators to clarify and document requisition specifications.
- Advises Salk Clients of alternative procurement sources and/or products within established supply channels to achieve overall best value.
- Establishes and maintains positive working relationships with Salk Clients to ensure that they understand Institute policies and procedures which will assist the department in providing the most responsive, efficient and effective service.
- Keeps Salk Clients and suppliers apprised of Procurement Services policies and procedures and explains their application to transactions as needed to ensure understanding.
- Establishes, nurtures and maintains excellent supplier and other external customer relationships while supporting the Procurement Services Department values of integrity, reliability and the highest ethical standards.
3) Administrative and Other Duties as Assigned (20%)
- Prepares routine correspondence in support of assigned procurement activities.
- Inputs Purchase Order information into the SCT Banner and Jaggaer (SalkShop) applications as required.
- Maintains records and documentation from/to Salk Clients and to/from suppliers to ensure compliance to policies and procedures.
- Performs other administrative duties as requested including data management, generation of activity reports and spreadsheets, filing and document control; phone and customer service support, etc.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in a procurement or administrative role, preferably in a procurement department or laboratory.
- Demonstrated experience in the research and reconciliation of invoicing, shipping, product and service related discrepancies.
- Prior experience using mainframe order entry and accounting systems.
- Experience using Jaggaer/SciQuest application.
- Experience in a science, biotechnology, academic, research or non-profit industries.
- Prior experience complying with the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Procurement Standards 2 CFR 200.317-326 including supplier diversity and conflicts of interest.
- High school diploma or equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing in a professional manner that is effective and comprehensible to a very diverse community of internal and external customers, at all organizational levels and within the appropriate context of the given situation.
- Excels in prioritizing and organizational skills to ensure desired results.
- Ability to multi-task while ensuring the necessary attention to detail.
- Ability to learn how to prepare purchase orders and conforming to regulatory requirements.
- Proficient and accurate data entry skills.
- Excellent administrative skills using common desktop applications such as Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Successful internet search capabilities.
- Strong and competent math skills.
- Good customer service skills that include being approachable, courteous, empathetic and solutions-orientated.
- Exercises proactive and professional interaction skills with suppliers in all aspects of the procurement process.
- Ability to work independently or with others.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to recognize discrepancies or problems and recommend solutions within established guidelines.
- Ability to determine when to escalate issues and involve management.
- Familiarity with federal, state, lnstitute and non-profit procurement regulations.
- Knowledge of basic terms and conditions of common procurement transactions.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be able to work a standard 8 hour work schedule between the core department hours of 7:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday with overtime as needed.
- Conflict of interest disclosure required.
- Confidential information agreement required.
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
- Satisfactory completion of the Institute’s background investigation.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/MENTAL ACTIVITIES/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
This position will be constantly hearing, keying, seeing, sitting, talking, touching/feeling, reading and working inside.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)