At Raytheon Missiles & Defense, you have the opportunity to try new things and make a bigger difference across a broader end-to-end solution, a richer technology and product set, an expanded range of disciplines, a growing global footprint and a more diverse team of colleagues and customers.
The Electrical Products Team (EPT) – Electro-Optical Products and Technology (EOPT) Department is currently searching for an Electro Optical / Systems Engineering Summer 2022 Intern with interest or experience in the EO field. Chosen team member will be responsible for spending their time learning and assisting on development or production programs. Chosen team member will be asked to be flexible while learning subsystem architecture, subsystem integration, or hardware design and innovation related roles that could include design, design review, production support, process and metric development.
Responsibilities to Anticipate:
- Participate as mentee and Individual Contributor supporting program activities.
- Optical alignment/testing of optics assemblies.
- EO modeling, simulation, and analysis applications.
- Requirements development, requirement validation, and subsystem trade studies.
- Design of optical and opto-mechanical seeker systems and/or test fixtures for missiles.
- Working with engineering and production personnel to troubleshoot and provide root cause and corrective action to design and process issues.
- Support production related activities in the assembly and documentation of electro-optical subsystems.
- Troubleshooting hardware and process issues down to CCA and component levels
- Resolution of issues on production lines and in testing (including suppliers)
- Failure analysis / root cause determination and corrective action implementation
This position can be a Sophomore, Junior, Senior or Post-Graduate internship based on the candidate’s qualifications and standing as outlined below:
- (Freshman Technical Intern)- must be enrolled in a Bachelor’s degree program
- (Sophomore Technical Intern)- must have completed 30 credit hours by start of internship
- (Junior Technical Intern)- must have completed 60 credit hours of college by start of internship
- (Senior Technical Intern)- must have completed 90 credit hours of college by start of internship
- (Post-Graduate Technical Intern)- must have an undergraduate degree and be enrolled in a graduate degree program (in degree fields listed in Qualifications You Must Have) by start of internship
Qualifications You Must Have:
- Must be a Sophomore, Junior, Senior or Post-Graduate by at the start of Summer 2022 in Optical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering or related Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics (STEM).
- Knowledge of Electro-Optical subsystems.
The ability to obtain and maintain a US security clearance. U.S. citizenship is required as only U.S. citizens are eligible for a security clearance
Qualifications We Value:
- ABET is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard. 3.0 cumulative GPA desired.
- Ability to develop and present technical briefings.
- Current/Active DoD security clearance or SSBI..
- Experience in troubleshooting investigations and processes
- Experience with test equipment, test automation scripting, test conduction, sensor control
- Experience with hardware/software integration.
- Class projects, professional internships, or academic research demonstrating the ability to apply technical coursework or skills.
- Use of Computer Analysis Tools (MatLab, Zemax, CodeV, FRED, or Microsoft Excel for EO modeling, simulation, and analysis applications.
- Optical design or systems integration and test experience or coursework in one or more of the following areas: optical testing and alignment, optical laboratory experience.
- Direct experience with EO design, lab, test and/or production support
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with coworkers from diverse communities and cultures
- Demonstrated ability to work with colleagues who represent a diversity of work and conflict resolution styles.
What We Offer:
Whether you’re just starting out on your career journey or are an experienced professional, we offer a robust total rewards package that goes above and beyond with compensation; wellness, retirement and work/life benefits; career development and recognition programs. Some of the superior benefits we offer include flexible work schedules and achievement awards.
Please upload a copy of your most recent transcripts with your resume when applying to this requisition. Include your cumulative GPA and projected graduation date on your resume.
This position requires the eligibility to obtain a security clearance. Non-US citizens may not be eligible to obtain a security clearance. The Defense Industrial Security Clearance Office (DISCO), an agency of the Department of Defense, handles and adjudicates the security clearance process. More information about Security Clearances can be found on the US Department of State government website here: https://www.state.gov/m/ds/clearances/c10978.htm
This position is located in beautiful Tucson, AZ. Tucson has a friendly, caring and laid-back atmosphere, combined with the innovation and energy of a metropolitan region and recognized as one of America’s 10 Best Small Cities. Surrounded by beautiful mountains, colorful Sonoran Desert landscape and majestic saguaro cacti, Tucson is blessed with some of nature’s best work. Tucson is known for its bright blue skies, and with more than 310 sunny days per year, Tucson’s fantastic weather lets residents enjoy the outdoors year-round.