Outside Brands (aka Outside Hilton Head), the premier outdoor outfitter on the southeast coast, offers a limited number of internship positions for the Spring of 2022. OB offers outdoor recreation programs including: kayaking, standup paddle boarding, customized family excursions, history and artisans tours, kayak and charter fishing, bike and e-bike tours and rentals, team building and leadership programs, and destination management services. Outside Brands also operates two retail stores and multiple outpost locations.
Interns will receive extensive training as interpretive kayak nature guides and retail associates, as well as exposure to the day to day operation of a major outdoor outfitter in the outdoor industry. Interns lead kayak tours, instruct beginning paddlers on safety and technique, greet customers and take reservations. In the retail setting, interns learn sales skills, gain knowledge pertaining to the technical aspects of outdoor clothing, gear and accessories.
Must be CPR certified. Qualified applications must possess a passion for the outdoors, a willingness to work as part of a dynamic team, excellent communication skills, and a desire to learn.
Interns typically work a 40 hour week splitting time between guiding and working in the retail store. Pay is $15 per hour. Qualified applicants must be CPR certified and possess a strong desire to work outside, provide exceptional customer service and become part of a dynamic team. All applicants must be seeking academic credit for this experience.
In addition to kayak nature tour guiding the intern will assist office staff:
• with answering phones, taking reservations, connecting calls with the appropriate staff member, and providing guests with program information
• with utilizing recreation software for reservations
- assisting with rentals and deliveries
• selling company programs and activities on the phone and in person
• following proper office procedures for operational record keeping and other paperwork procedures commonly used in daily operations