Senior Project Manager, Large-Scale Renewables
Albany or New York City Office
New York is leading the nation in the fight on global climate change and the transition to a clean energy economy. With the passage of the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act (Climate Act), New York has codified the most aggressive climate change program in the nation to achieve an 85% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions from 1990 levels by 2050 and 40% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions by 2030 – all while delivering critical benefits to historically underserved and otherwise disadvantaged communities. Doing so requires an ambitious agenda that blends proven catalysts with innovative approaches while operating within a broader energy arena that is rapidly evolving.
The New York State Energy Research & Development Authority, NYSERDA, is a driving force in realizing this agenda. NYSERDA works with stakeholders spanning residents, business owners, developers, community leaders, local government officials, universities, utilities, investors, entrepreneurs, and more, to develop, invest, and foster conditions that:
- Attract the private sector capital investment needed to expand New York’s clean energy economy
- Overcome barriers to using clean energy at a large-scale in New York
- Enable New York’s communities and residents to benefit from energy efficiency and renewable energy
Our ultimate mission is to advance clean energy innovation and investments to combat climate change, improving the health, resiliency, and prosperity of New Yorkers and delivering benefits equitably to all.
NYSERDA seeks an experienced, collaborative, and insightful Senior Project Manager to join the Large Scale Renewables team to support the development and implementation of NYSERDA’s Tier 4 project portfolio. The Tier 4 projects consist of two major green energy infrastructure projects, including new transmission lines, to power New York City with wind, solar and hydropower projects from upstate New York and Canada. These projects are expected to deliver almost 12% of New York State’s annual electric consumption, and more than one third of New York City’s annual electric consumption. They will help reduce New York City’s reliance on fossil fuels, lower carbon emissions and significantly improve air quality and public health in disadvantaged communities. The Tier 4 project portfolio will:
- Create approximately 10,000 family-sustaining jobs statewide
- Bring $8.2 billion in economic development investments, including developer-committed investment to support disadvantaged communities
- Produce approximately 18 million megawatt-hours of upstate and Canadian renewable energy per year, enough to power more than 2.5 million homes;
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 77 million metric tons over the next 15 years, the equivalent of taking one million cars off the road; and
- Provide $2.9 billion in public health benefits over 15 years that will result from reduced exposure to harmful pollutants—including fewer episodes of illness and premature death, fewer days of school or work missed, less disruption of business, and lower health care costs.
The Tier 4 Senior Project Manager’s key responsibilities include leading external stakeholder communication, outreach and engagement; supporting State and local regulatory reviews; coordinating NYSERDA’s internal technical, contracting, and legal teams throughout the project development process; and helping build contract management systems and processes to support project tracking, reporting, and oversight. Additional responsibilities will include collaboration with the Department of Public Service, New York Independent System Operator and other stakeholders to advance these projects and also evolve the New York State electric grid to achieve the goals of the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act and the Accelerated Renewable Growth and Community Benefit Act.
The ideal candidate for this role will have demonstrated experience in one or more of the following areas: management of complex infrastructure and/or electricity transmission projects and stakeholder engagement for large infrastructure projects.
- Lead the design and implementation of an organizational framework to support NYSERDA’s Tier 4 project portfolio including:
- Stakeholder outreach and engagement, and collaboration/coordination with NYSERDA’s Large-Scale Renewable team to support program, policy and procurement evolution
- Preparation and presentation of program information – status updates, summary statistics, strategic direction to NYSERDA teams, executives, agencies and outside parties, etc.
- Fulfill current project management needs while also planning for future work streams and resource needs
- Participate in the design and implementation of contract management platforms in accordance with best practices learned from NYSERDA’s Large-Scale Renewables teams, NYSERDA’s administrative teams broadly, and best practices for contract management of renewable energy projects in the industry
- Engage with State and regulatory entities in advancing these projects
- Coordinate the assembly of associated documentation and reporting
- Utilize NYSERDA’s enterprise performance management systems including Salesforce and other platforms to support the contract management process and produce high-quality and detailed reports
- Collaborate with members of the Large-Scale Renewable Team and broader NYSERDA teams to seek programmatic and systemic efficiencies relating to contract management activities including NYGATS reporting, invoicing and accounting, and Load Serving Entity implementation planning
- Engage with and manage external contractors to support the contract management framework
- Actively participate in multi-organization working groups to advance New York clean energy and electric grid innovation
- Advance methods and processes to maximize benefits to disadvantaged communities stemming from NYSERDA investments
- Establish and maintain positive collaborative working relationships across NYSERDA and its NY Green Bank, and with key regulators and stakeholders including the Department of Public Service, NYS Division of Budget, Department of Environmental Conservation, Department of State, NYPA, NYISO, external auditors, and investment advisors
- Support NYSERDA-wide efforts to operate as an inclusive community, working concertedly to deliver on ambitious climate goals
- Perform other responsibilities as needed
the Large-Scale Renewable team’s programmatic engagement with stakeholders
- 8 years of relevant project management and/or stakeholder engagement experience with large infrastructure projects
- Bachelor’s degree; an advanced degree preferred
- Knowledge of renewable energy technologies and/or large infrastructure project development processes
- Superior record keeping, database management, organizational, time management, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to successfully handle multiple projects simultaneously, set priorities and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Must be a self-starter and function well independently and in teams
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge and experience with planning, developing and constructing energy or transmission projects
- Experienced in stakeholder engagement and coalition building
- Knowledge of wholesale energy markets, particularly in New York
- Experienced in Large-Generator Interconnection processes
- Experienced in the asset management or the operations and maintenance of electric energy infrastructure
Candidates will be considered based on qualifications and experience. An excellent benefits package is offered.
Please submit one file that includes both your cover letter and resume here.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) are core values at NYSERDA and in our work for the people of New York State and the clean energy market. We are passionate about building and sustaining an inclusive and equitable working environment and are committed to diversity in all its forms. Because our programs serve all New Yorkers, we are committed to hiring and retaining a diverse and engaged workforce and building a workplace that empowers all NYSERDA employees to achieve their full professional and personal potential.
NYSERDA is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race (including traits historically associated with race), ethnicity, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, the status of being transgender, familial status, marital status, age, national origin, disability (including pregnancy related conditions), military or veteran status, genetic information or predisposition, reproductive health decision making (including the decision to use or access a particular drug, device, or medical service), the status of being a victim of domestic violence, known relationship or association with any member of a protected class, or any other basis prohibited by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by contacting the Designee for Reasonable Accommodations (DRA) and Americans with Disabilities Act Coordinator which can be found under the Americans with Disabilities Act section of this page labeled as “Reasonable Accommodation Contact Information.”