DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Communications Director is responsible for developing messaging and media strategy, communicating with press, preparing Council Member for public speaking engagements, and maintaining online and social media presence.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Coordinate and respond to press and media inquiries for the Council Member and engage with press.
· Draft and review communications on behalf of the Council Member.
· Organize and staff the Council Member at press conferences, special events, town halls and community forums.
· Represent the Council Member at district wide meetings, including some night and weekend events.
· Serve as a liaison with city agencies, elected officials’ offices, community groups, local organizations, and constituents.
· Other miscellaneous duties, as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have an interest in local government, local advocacy and City issues. Must have exceptional communication and writing skills and knowledge of New York State and City politics. The ability to meet deadlines and work with local media is essential. High proficiency in digital media, social media platforms and graphic design ability highly desired. In addition, the ideal candidate must have exceptional organization skills and be able to pay careful attention to detail.
New York City Residency Required within 90 Days of Appointment
WOMEN AND PEOPLE OF COLOR HIGHLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY