Gain hands-on experience in a dynamic environment with guidance from a mentor who is a member of our research staff.
Our research team conducts research in many aspects of marine animal health, husbandry and ecology. This is accomplished through detailed analysis of behavior, specimens, data records and a combination of field, in-house and laboratory-based research projects that focus on animal behavior, ecology, infectious disease, neuro-immunology and physiology.
The internship program reflects our mission “to inspire people to care for and protect our ocean planet through conservation, education and research.” Internships are available for the fall, spring and summer.
Interns have the opportunity to attend weekly educational seminars, receive feedback from supervisors and work on independent projects to enhance their knowledge and resumes.
Here are some of the potential duties for research internships. Please note that duties will vary depending on the intern’s principle focus during the internship. More details can be acquired during the interview process.
- Videotape, observe, describe and analyze animal behavior
- Prepare chemical solutions and biological reagents
- Assist with specimen collection
- Management of biological specimens
- Assist with biological assays and experiments
- Data entry and database management
- Data analysis, table and graph construction
- Report writing