The Department of Fish and Invertebrates is responsible for system maintenance on exhibit and holding systems, animal feeds and maintaining clean work areas. This is accomplished through daily maintenance of systems, detailed analysis of specimens and careful data recording.
Interns must have a flexible schedule and work five days per week.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds
- Expected to pass swim test including:
- 100 yard swim in less than five minutes
- Tread water for 10 minutes or two minutes without hands
- Deploy life safety/flotation device
- Food preparation
- Feeding of the fish and invertebrate collection
- Maintenance of aquariums (algae scrubbing, water changes, water monitoring, filter maintenance, H2O chemical analysis, etc.) under aquarist supervision
- Cleaning back-up areas and equipment
- Exhibit plumbing and life support operation
- Daily checks and record keeping