Torn between your love for compensation and benefits? Fret no more! We have an amazing opportunity for you in our Human Resources department! Our HR Department in Baton Rouge, Louisiana is looking for a Compensation & Benefits Specialist to support our AVP of Human Resources in guiding managers through compensation strategy and managing compensation-related benefits programs.
This is either a remote position or a hybrid remote/in-office position. Baton Rouge metro residents will be expected to follow the hybrid or full in-office model (employee’s choice) whereas a non-local will be fully remote from their home office.
The Compensation & Benefits Specialist position is a dual role. This individual is responsible for compensation, short-term, and long-term incentive analysis as well as acting as a resource to managers’ budgeting initiatives by pricing jobs in the market. The position will also manage, analyze, and administer a financial benefit plan such as the employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), deferred compensation, or the 401(k) plan.
Compensation & Benefits Overview:
We offer a competitive and comprehensive compensation & benefits package for all full-time employees. Some of our benefit offerings include, but are not limited to, multiple medical plan options, dental and vision insurance, PTO (paid time off), 401K plan, and incentivized wellness programs. We typically offer year-end bonuses as well based on tenure!
A day in the life:
In this role, you’ll have the opportunity to work alongside our AVP of Human Resources and another Compensation & Benefits Specialist to continually develop and evaluate compensation programs that align with top management strategy. As mentioned, this is a dual role where you’ll also manage, analyze, and administer a financial benefit plan (also referred to as a long-term incentive or LTI) such as the employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), deferred compensation, or the 401(k) plan. You’ll serve as either the primary or secondary contact for relevant vendors and/or third party administrators.
As with most HR roles, there is a customer service aspect to this role. You will provide customer support to both internal (i.e. within HR) and external (i.e. across the company) customers. The Compensation & Benefits Specialist will have the opportunity to partner with hiring managers across the company on things like pricing new jobs with relevant market data, designing and preparing ad hoc comp and budget reports, provide support for annual merit increases and incentive programs, and more! You’ll also communicate with employees on related topics such as: plan and pricing structure, deadlines, and general comp questions.
The Compensation & Benefits Specialist will also be responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- Participate in salary surveys, and analyze data from survey sources to determine competitiveness both internally and externally: Mercer, Towers Watson, Salary.com, etc.
- Remain current on changing Federal and State regulations and legislation that may affect employee compensation or benefits.
- Coordinate all end of month billing and processing.
- Research, design, recommend and implement LTI plans that present the best value.
- Perform LTI plan audits and recommend cost reduction or containment strategies.
- Maintain records and procedures for the administration processes of the role.
- Approve new title creation by assigning title, FLSA exemption status, and EEO classification and collaborate with HRIS to maintain current job titles in payroll system (Ultipro/UKG Pro).
- Review and monitor employee pay and recommend reviews if necessary.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
With the fluctuating nature of HR, the perfect candidate should be self-motivated and dependable, possessing the ability to multitask, practice time management, and prioritize their workload in a deadline-driven environment.
The ability to think logically and analytically to find alternatives to solutions when procedure and/or policy don’t dictate an immediate solution is critical for success in this role.
Superior customer service and verbal and written communication skills are important to communicate with a diverse community within HR, other departments, and local Lamar offices across the country.
Interpersonal communication and emotional intelligence skills are especially important to handle sensitive and confidential situations with poise, tact, and diplomacy. Attention to detail is also essential to ensure legal compliance.
We use Gmail and Google Drive A LOT, so proficiency with that platform is a plus. This individual should possess a strong aptitude for navigating HR information systems (HRIS) to retrieve and analyze data; familiarity with UKG Pro (Ultipro) is a plus.
In-person and online presentational skills are important in this role; some training opportunities will be impromptu, so you must have a comfort level with unexpected challenges. Finally, we are a team, so you must be a team player!
The following knowledge and skills are also required for success in this role:
- Data Analysis: gathering and summarizing data for reports, discovering and presenting solutions
- Knowledge of Total Rewards best practices and market trends
- Knowledge of employment laws and compliance concerns related to Human Resources, especially in regards to Total Rewards
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably with a Human Resources concentration or similar fieldIn lieu of a degree, 6 years of relevant experience required
- 1-5 years of relevant experience required with a degree
- 1-3 years of experience in Total Rewards is strongly preferred
- CCP, CEBS, PHR and/or SHRM-CP certification preferredWithout a degree or concentration in Human Resources, PHR or SHRM-CP required or the ability and willingness to obtain certification within the first 6 months of employment is required
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- The primary work environment is either at home or in an office.
- The physical demands for this position include light lifting, seeing (with a focus on reading), sitting more than 50% of the time, talking, and walking.
- Nights spent traveling, away from home, are less than 10%.
Lamar is an EOE/AA: Minorities/Females/Disabled/Protected Veterans or any other State or Federally protected characteristic
Disability Self-Identification: When applying for a job with Lamar, you will be asked to voluntarily self-identify whether you have a disability. Please take a moment to watch this video for clarification on why we’re asking for this information!
California Resident Disclaimer: Lamar collects personal information in the ordinary course of considering job applicants. This information may include, for example, name, address, phone number and other contact information, employment history and reference contact information, and any other information provided by an applicant to Lamar. By submitting an application, you consent to the use or sharing of this personal information solely for the purpose of consideration for employment by Lamar. Lamar will not sell this information.
Federal Vaccine Mandate: As a federal contractor, Lamar is required to comply with federal COVID-19 vaccine mandates. In compliance with these mandates, all employees must be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus by December 8, 2021, and will be required to submit their COVID-19 vaccination status upon hire through our Employee Web Portal. For purposes of the federal vaccine mandate requirements, an individual is considered “fully vaccinated” if it has been at least 14 days since the person received the last dose, as recommended by the manufacturer, of a vaccine that has been authorized by the FDA for use in the United States, including vaccinations that have been approved pursuant to an Emergency Use Authorization. As an applicant, you have the same rights to accommodation as employees under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act (Title VII). If an accommodation request is necessary, you will have the opportunity to submit a request after you receive a conditional offer of employment, if selected to fill this role. All accommodation requests are subject to review and could result in a denial.