Legal Intern Spring 2022– Refugee Representation
Human Rights First welcomes law students to apply for legal internships with the Refugee Representation team. We are looking for students who are currently enrolled in law school, have a strong interest in and commitment to human rights, are preferably fluent in a relevant second language (Spanish, French, Arabic, Mandarin and Russian, among others), and want to work on behalf of indigent asylum-seekers. These interns will gain experience in asylum law and procedure through legal writing and research and be able to interact with clients.
• Assist staff members in conducting screening and intake interviews with potential asylum clients by taking notes, providing interpretation services (depending on language ability), and writing and editing detailed interview-based reports with extensive country conditions research;
• Travel to area immigration detention centers to assist with intake interviews of potential asylum clients, as needed;
• Assist staff with legal research, preparation for trainings, meetings, special projects, and other events;
• Represent Human Rights First at various NGO-government liaison meetings and take detailed notes for Human Rights First staff, as needed;
• Respond to requests for assistance from potential asylum seekers locally, as well as individuals in immigration centers nationwide;
• Help with the process of identifying, analyzing, and responding to legal or procedural changes that affect asylum seekers, including statutory changes, proposed regulations, and decisions from federal courts or the Board of Immigration Appeals;
• Assist staff with written and oral correspondence with existing clients, potential clients, interpreters, and others involved in the process of case screening, acceptance, and placement with law firms;
• Administrative and other tasks as needed.
REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
• Demonstrated interest in human rights, asylum, and immigration issues (experience in asylum and immigration issues preferred, but not required);
• Excellent writing and editing skills;
• Excellent communication skills;
• Excellent research abilities;
• Fluency in a second language (preference will be given to Arabic, Spanish, French, Mandarin, Haitian Creole, and Russian speakers);
• Ability to handle several tasks at once while working independently or as a member of a team;
• Compassion, empathy, and a sense of humor.
Applicants MUST be law students who are currently enrolled in U.S.-based institutions and will be attending classes in the semester following their summer internship.
TIME COMMITMENT: 12-15 hours weekly
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: Resume, Writing Sample and Cover Letter
START DATE: January 24, 2022
APPLICATION DEADLINE: December 3, 2021
Human Rights First is committed to recruiting, retaining, and developing staff from a diversity of backgrounds, including members of racial and ethnic minorities, LGBTQ people, people with disabilities, people of all socioeconomic backgrounds, people of all nationalities, and veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. We believe that a diverse staff and an inclusive work environment that welcomes a range of perspectives make us stronger and more effective.
Arrangements for academic credit must be coordinated between the student, the department, and the employer.
Chico State Students and alumni: The Career Center posts jobs in Handshake as they may be of interest to members of the Chico State community. Sharing information about this internship does not indicate University sponsorship or endorsement of the activity or event. It is the participant’s responsibility to apply due diligence, exercise caution when participating, and report concerns to Career Services at firstname.lastname@example.org