Would you like to work for a non-profit while gaining the experience to work for the National Parks?
Working cooperatively with the National Park Service Lake Mead National Recreation Area (LAKE) and Death Valley National Park (DEVA), the Great Basin Institute is recruiting to hire 3 Entry Level Engineering Technicians. The overarching objective of this position is to assist under close supervision the Maintenance Division in activities to support recreation and visitor facilities at Lake Mead and Death Valley. Technicians will aid in a variety of engineering support activities including, but not limited to:
- Assist senior level engineer with design reviews for various roads, buildings, housing and campground related projects.
- Assist Contracting Officer Representative with performing field inspections duties for ongoing construction projects.
- Assist with energy tracking and reporting such as reading photovoltaic meters quarterly and entering monthly usage in the governments reporting system.
- Perform condition assessments on the Lake Mead Asset Portfolio to identify and scope future project needs.
- Prepare quarterly progress reports and close out packages for various facility projects
- Attend park wide project meetings, attend and satisfactorily complete assigned training and instructional tasks.
- Create standing work orders and project related work orders in the governments asset management system.
- May perform project planning and management tasks such as administrative duties, Schematic and blueprint reading, data cleanup and audits, organize digital and hard copy engineering related files.
- Utilize AutoCAD to produce as-built drawings during the project close-out phase.
- Preform engineering related research such material and equipment research based on project need and obtain quotes from vendors.
- Simple engineering design such as take-off estimates, cost estimating, product identification, and production of drawing and specifications.
- Bachelors degree in Civil Engineering OR current Junior/Senior standing working towards a bachelors degree in Civil Engineering or similar
- Also open to individuals in the field(s) of construction management, architecture, landscape architecture or similar
- Ability to interact and communicate with a diverse range of Park Staff and visitors
- Motivated, self-starter, detail oriented, and possess good organizational skills;
- Ability to work in harsh and rapidly changing environments, in all types of weather conditions, traverse uneven terrain
- Ability to work independently or cooperatively as part of a team focused on accomplishing goals and mission of the NPS and GBI;
- Possess a clean, valid, state-issued driver’s license with ability to safely operate and maintain a 4WD vehicle on and off paved roads;
- Experience working in AutoCAD
- Experience reading and writing project plans
- Knowledge of guiding principles of recreation, cultural or natural resource management
- Prior experience working in the desert southwest, or similar desert climates, desirable.
This AmeriCorps position is open to US Citizens, Nationals, or Permanent Residents age 17 or older.
Successful applicant must complete a Department of Interior (DOI) Background Investigation (BI) or submit paperwork to NPS human resources indicating an active and fully adjudicated BI has already been completed prior to beginning position. If you already have a fully adjudicated BI, please let us know in your application.
We conform to all the laws, statutes, and regulations concerning equal employment opportunities and affirmative action. We strongly encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply to all of our job openings. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, age, disability status, Genetic Information & Testing, Family & Medical Leave, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We prohibit Retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer or the government, or against any individuals who assist or participate in the investigation of any complaint or otherwise oppose discrimination.