Description: Freeport-McMoRan (FCX) is a leading international mining company with headquarters in Phoenix, Arizona. FCX operates large, long-lived, geographically diverse assets with significant proven and probable reserves of copper, gold and molybdenum.
Freeport-McMoRan’s internship program has been referred to as one of the top programs in the mining industry. By providing access to top minds and technology in mining today, our structured internship will provide you the skills and experience to help prepare you for a successful career. Our internship program is tailored to full-time students currently enrolled at an accredited four-year university and recent graduates in North America. Internships are temporary full-time paid positions and typically run from May through August.
- A foreign national may be considered for H1B visa sponsorship upon completion of one (1) year of service with consistently exceeded performance and safety expectations.
- A foreign national may be considered for employment-based permanent residency sponsorship upon completion of (2) years of service with consistently exceeded performance and safety expectations.
Under general supervision, performs project work that will consist of field work and data collection and analysis.
- Assembles data and assists with problem-solving requiring basic theories and engineering fundamentals. Utilizes computer programs to solve engineering problems
- Assists with layout and design of routine small and medium-sized engineering projects
- Assists with specification development or preparation
- Assists with technical evaluation of equipment and material
- Assists with maintaining accurate and current project documentation
- May perform as a member of a survey or GPS mapping crew
- Assist in coordinating mechanical and other engineering projects to include developing a scope of work, generating cost estimate and preparing a project information package
- Assist in evaluating current systems and processes and implement optimizations to improve efficiencies
- Project work including project development, budgeting, engineering, purchasing, construction, cost control, quality controls and implementation
- Develop engineering projects utilizing new technology to constantly upgrade and improve safety efficiencies, cost controls and protection of the environment
- Promote, and initiate positive employee relations designed to facilitate teamwork and job satisfaction through participation
- Perform other duties as required
- Full-time student currently enrolled at an accredited four-year university majoring in an appropriate Mechanical Engineering discipline or related Engineering field; OR
- Recent college graduate having graduated within 12 months prior to internship start date with a degree in Mechanical Engineering or related Engineering field
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office applications including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Possesses strong data analysis and problem solving skills
- Highly accurate and detail oriented
- Possesses strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrates initiative, organizational skills and ability to work well under pressure
- Demonstrates ability to collaborate and work effectively in a team environment.
- Must be able to demonstrate our core values of honesty, fairness, respect, trust, and integrity
- Ability to understand and apply verbal and written work and safety-related instructions and procedures given in English
- Ability to communicate in English with respect to job assignments, job procedures, and applicable safety standards
- Must be able to work in a potentially stressful environment
- Work is in an office, mine, or manufacturing plant setting, which may include exposure to extremes in temperature and humidity, moving mechanical parts, risk of electrical shock, toxic chemicals, explosives, fumes or airborne particles
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, demonstrate manual dexterity, climb stairs and ladders, work on elevated platforms, talk, hear and see
- Occasionally may be required to lift moderately heavy objects up to thirty (30) pounds during the course of the workday
- Personal protective equipment is required when performing work in a mine, outdoor, manufacturing or plant environment, including hard hat, hearing protection, safety glasses, safety footwear, and as needed, respirator, rubber steel-toe boots, protective clothing, gloves and any other protective equipment as required
- Freeport-McMoRan promotes a drug/ alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing and on-going random drug testing as per applicable state laws
Freeport-McMoRan has reviewed the jobs at its various office and operating sites and determined that many of these jobs require employees to perform essential job functions that pose a direct threat to the safety or health of the employees performing these tasks or others. Accordingly, the Company has designated the following positions as safety-sensitive:
- Site-based positions, or positions which require unescorted access to site-based operational areas, which are held by employees who are required to receive MSHA, OSHA, DOT, HAZWOPER and/or Hazard Recognition Training; or
- Positions which are held by employees who operate equipment, machinery or motor vehicles in furtherance of performing the essential functions of their job duties, including operating motor vehicles while on Company business or travel (for this purpose “motor vehicles” includes Company owned or leased motor vehicles and personal motor vehicles used by employees in furtherance of Company business or while on Company travel); or
- Positions which Freeport-McMoRan has designated as safety sensitive positions in the applicable job or position description and which upon further review continue to be designated as safety-sensitive based on an individualized assessment of the actual duties performed by a specifically identified employee.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veteran/Disability