Flexport is looking for a creative, technically-minded Machine Learning Scientist (MLS) Intern who is motivated to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems in freight forwarding.
Data is at the heart of our business, and as an MLS Intern, you will work to evaluate and build quantitative solutions into Flexport’s freight forwarding and marketplace products. You will develop machine learning solutions that deliver data-driven insights and automated decision-making in collaboration with multidisciplinary teams. Project assignment will be based on the team’s needs and your knowledge and skillsets.
You will own end-to-end delivery of the science solution over 12 weeks, culminating in delivering and presenting a production-ready solution. The science team has intern projects covering all Flexport initiatives, including pricing, experimentation, planning, and knowledge representation & reasoning.
- Lead and complete at least one science project that will be launched in production.
- Work with a supportive mentor who has a stake in your success and will help you grow.
- Perform data gathering and requirements gathering & analysis.
- Research prior work to inform and develop rational hypotheses and models and quantify appropriate metrics & targets.
- Work with large and complex data sets and solve difficult data analysis problems by applying advanced analytical methods as needed.
- Develop data analysis/machine learning solutions to support actionable insights and deliver data-driven ML solutions to automated decision making.
You Should Have:
- Be a Masters’ student or Ph.D. candidate within one year of graduation in a technical field like Computer ScienceMath, Applied Math, Economics, Statistics, etc.
- Have strong programming experience in SQL and one or more of the following languages: Python, C/C++, C#, Java.
- Experience working with large data sets and knowledge of tools for big data analytics (e.g., SQL, Python, Perl, or Ruby).
- Ability to translate business requirements into mathematical models.
- Knowledge and experience in one or more of the following: Machine Learning, Natural Language Understanding, Computer Vision, Data Mining, Artificial Intelligence, Data Engineering.
- Knowledge and experience designing and executing a research plan or related machine learning/data engineering projects.
- Knowledge and experience training Machine Learning models on libraries such as Tensorflow, PyTorch, Scikit-learn.
You will get:
- An assigned manager and mentor who will be dedicated to your success at Flexport.
- Projects and assignments which will help build your knowledge and skills while making a measurable direct impact on the business.
- Visibility to leaders within the organization and opportunities to present your work/projects.
- Opportunity to join team-building activities to get you familiarized with your immediate team and other Flexport employees.
We believe trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easy for everyone. Flexport is building the platform for global logistics, empowering buyers, sellers and their logistics partners with the technology and services to grow and innovate. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $10B of merchandise across 112 countries every year.
Worried about not having any logistics experience?
Don’t be! Our mission is to make global trade easy for everyone. That’s why it’s important to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the global logistics industry forward.
We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.