JOB TITLE: Feed Yard Intern
REPORTS TO: Department Manager (as assigned)
FLSA STATUS: Hourly, Ag-exempt
FUNCTION: Learns and performs the daily operation of feed mill, feeding department, cattle department, and yard operations for completion of the internship. Performs the following duties:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Other duties may be assigned.
- Internship rotation through Mill and Feeding, Cattle and Yard Operations. Duties will vary based on internship parameters and fulfilling the needs of the feed yard.
- Complies with applicable OSHA, FDA, and EPA regulations; maintains appropriate compliance records.
- Sets a positive example by modeling safe work practices and following safety rules and policies.
- May participate in department meetings and special projects as they apply to the internship for the benefit of Five Rivers.
- In progress: Undergraduate degree in a related field.
- Knowledge of Word Processing software; Spreadsheet software and Database software.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Expected to coordinate projects, manage difficult or emotional employee situations, participate in meetings, understand business implications of decisions, work within the approved budget, develop and implement cost-saving measures, conserve organizational resources, demonstrate knowledge of EEO policy, adapt to changes in the work environment, exhibit sound, and accurate judgment, observe safety and security procedures, and report potentially unsafe conditions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to airborne particles. The employee is frequently exposed to work near moving mechanical parts and outdoor weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud. The employee is frequently required to climb or balance and is exposed to work in high, precarious places.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee is required to adhere to the department demands as assigned, i.e. Mill: wear hardhat; eye, ear, and respiratory protection daily. Frequently to Occasionally the employee is required to push/pull, reach, bend, run, sit, stand, jump, climb, squat, kneel, lift, carry, twist, grasp/squeeze. Working with or near cattle, horses, vehicles, and equipment in all weather conditions.
Pay Range: $13-16 per hour