HARVEST WINEMAKING INTERNSHIP PROGRAM (5-6 MONTHS)
● LOUIS M. MARTINI WINERY (St. Helena, CA) ● WILLIAM HILL ESTATE (Napa, CA) ● MODESTO WINERY ● TALBOTT VINEYARDS (Salinas, CA) ● COURTSIDE WINERY (San Miguel, CA) ● ASTI WINERY (Cloverdale, CA) ● COLUMBIA WINERY (Sunnyside, WA) ● THE RANCH WINERY (St. Helena, CA) ● GALLO OF SONOMA (Healdsburg, CA)
Premium Winemaking Description
E. & J. Gallo Winery owns and operates over ten premium wineries across California and in Washington, producing brands such as Louis M. Martini, William Hill, Apothic, Edna Valley, Talbott, Frei Brothers, Columbia, Souverain, and Gallo Signature Series. We value teamwork, innovative problem solving, and integrity. As an intern, you will have the opportunity to learn production from grape to wine in beautiful wine country.
The Premium Winemaking Internship Program has a select number of positions available for qualified candidates to fill 5-6 month positions (approximately August through December) at the wineries listed above. Interns are expected to assist in daily harvest activities and manage a portion of an ongoing winemaking project(s), depending on their level of experience. Successful candidates who complete the Premium Winemaking Internship will gain experience with the winemaking teams and increase their skill base for future employment or graduate school. Working closely with winemakers, Premium Winemaking Interns will have an opportunity to participate in the following (varies by location/assignment):
- Assist in sampling, lab blends, tasting, inventory control, and cellar work management.
- Participate in fermentation monitoring and tasting, analysis tracking, and data interpretation.
- Assist in preparing and processing work orders.
- Monitor and/or perform grape sorting, inoculations, additions, maceration, racking, draining, pressing, barrel filling, and lab analysis.
- Work cross-functionally with departments across the company.
- High school diploma or State-issued equivalency certificate.
- Currently enrolled at a college or university and working towards OR have obtained a Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree in the school of Life Sciences, school of Agricultural Sciences, or school of Engineering.
- Required to lift and move up to 45 lbs.
- Able to climb fixed stairs with handrails and vertical ladders with hoop cages to a height of 40 feet.
- Required to be 21 years of age or older.
- Experience computing mathematical formulas and basic computer skills.
- Available to work evenings, weekends and holidays when necessary.
- Junior or Senior class standing at a college or university and working towards a Bachelor’s degree in Fermentation Science, Plant Science, Enology, Food Science, Wine Business, Microbiology, Biotechnology, Molecular Bioscience, Biology, Viticulture, Biological Engineering,Winemaking or Chemistry.
- Prior winemaking and tasting internship or work experience.
- Familiar with Chemistry and Microbiology.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills with the experience managing multiple assignments.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Inside/Outside conditions: During Crush, work estimated at 80% (but not limited to) outside, with weather of varying types.
- Wet/slippery conditions vary and may include work in rain.
- Required to lift and move up to 50 lbs.
- Applicant must be able to climb fixed stairs with handrails and vertical ladders with hoop cages to a height of 50 feet.
- Noise levels may vary. May be in situations where ear protection is required; though not for extended periods.
Gallo does not sponsor for employment based visas for this position now or in the future.