Status: Full-time, Non-Exempt
End Date: Open Until Filled
CapRadio’s Insight acts as a town-hall style liaison between Sacramento region’s news, events, occurrences and people, to the CapRadio audience. The Insight team behind the morning show supports a daily broadcast production with Host, Vicki Gonzalez, who discusses the most pressing and interesting issues in the Sacramento region and beyond as they relate to and impact the lives of members in our communities. We support our listeners by sharing a space with them on a daily basis to discuss, inform and enlighten our region to all of the interesting and eventful aspects, events, groups and actors in and around the Sacramento region.
As an Assistant Producer of Insight, your primary duties will be to support our community-driven efforts via the production of Insight via our recorded and on-air segments and in all aspects of the production. Typical tasks include: researching and identifying topics for programs, producing and booking show segments, writing promos, scripts and descriptions for capradio.org, and working on projects in a team-oriented environment and in collaboration with the Managing Editor. You will be a significant contributor to structuring and ensuring the tether between our audience and the community.
We’re looking for someone who has a passion for the issues facing the communities CapRadio serves and regularly generates original ideas, identifies suitable topics for discussion, and conducts thorough research to assist the Managing Editor, producer(s) and host in preparation for segments, guests and special broadcasts, including breaking news. This role requires solid news judgment for participation in all aspects of the editorial process and production of Insight.
If this sounds like you, then you should apply for CapRadio’s Assistant Producer, Insight!
The ideal candidate will provide continuity and redundancy for show functions and they will be fully competent to meet the operational needs of the show and execution of the program.
We’re focused on building a diverse and inclusive organization and it takes all kinds of people so if you’re excited about this role but don’t meet all of the qualifications listed below, we encourage you to apply.
- Assists in all aspects of the production of the daily show with in-studio guests, video guests, telephone guests, and produced elements, as well as breaking news, at the direction of the Managing Editor and producer(s)
- In consultation with the Managing Editor, producer(s) and host, researches and identifies topics for programs
- Collaborates with Managing Editor, producer(s) and host to produce and book show segments independently and collectively on a regular basis
- Consults with Managing Editor, producer(s) and host in selection and pre-interviewing guests
- Writes and produces promos, scripts and descriptions for the digital show page that meet industry and CapRadio standards
- Edits sound files
- Operates broadcast equipment to industry and CapRadio audio standards
- At the direction of the Managing Editor and host, conducts regular and thorough research of area, state, national, and international issues to assist host’s preparation for show segments
- Participates in News, Music and other Content meetings as needed
- College degree, preferably in journalism, communications or equivalent experience
- Broadcast journalism experience of at least one year preferred
- Familiarity with public radio news programming preferrered
- Excellent news judgment and demonstrated ability to conceive and shape topics
- Excellent writing and storytelling skills
- Computer literate, including familiarity with Google Docs, Slack, Zoom, Adobe Audition, Microsoft Windows operating system and Microsoft Office. Understanding of social media and digital platformsDetail-oriented and able to meet daily deadlines, often under stressful conditions, and deal effectively with multiple priorities
- Ability to work independently, as well as collaborate with others in a fast-moving team environment
- Commitment to company values: able to create high quality programming while demonstrating respect for all colleagues, promote inclusion and an environment free of harassment and discrimination
- Valid California driver’s license and evidence of insurability
Remote work is temporarily available under shelter in place orders. During the pandemic this position is remote, with a possible occasional day in the office. Training is offered remotely, and meetings are conducted via video calls.
After the pandemic, this position requires you to work on-site from our Sacramento office, with the possibility of working from home up to 20% of the time per week.
The annual compensation for this role is $44,000 – $53,299. CapRadio also offers:
- Competitive medical, dental, vision, chiropractic, and acupuncture insurance
- Retirement plan with employer matching
- Paid holidays
- Flexible Vacation
- Two weeks of flexible, accruable paid time-off
- Paid sick leave
- Long-term disability and group life insurance
- Flexible spending plan for health and dependent care
So, you’re going to apply? Great! Here are the steps:
Submit a cover letter and resume via the “apply” link:
You can address your cover letter to the hiring manager for this position: Aram Sarkissian, Managing Editor, Insight.
Attn: Human Resources
7055 Folsom Blvd.
Sacramento, CA 95826
Capital Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer.