Start Here, Go Anywhere!
Want to work for a company that invests in innovation and people who catalyze impact in the built environment? Arup is proud to be recognized by Fast Company in their third annual Best Workplaces for Innovators list, which honors businesses and organizations that demonstrate a deep commitment to encouraging innovation at all levels.
We find solutions for some of the world’s most complex problems. From climate action to social value, we consider the broadest impacts of our work. We strive to build a more sustainable, resilient, and equitable future. This purpose shapes our culture and has made us leaders in sustainable development. You’d be joining our multi-disciplinary design teams focusing on technical excellence and innovative solutions that create a better future for people, places, and the planet.
During your career at Arup, you’ll have the chance to engage in a fulfilling career and work with some of the most highly respected engineers and specialists in the world. You’ll also get the opportunity to work on exciting and significant projects, delivering quality work that has a positive and lasting influence on the community and the environment.
Arup’s specialist acoustics, audiovisual, noise, and vibration team solves complex problems in the built and urban environment, from concert halls to high speed railways.
Arup’s specialist Audiovisual, sound system, and multimedia design team is involved in cutting edge projects from interactive museums, high-end corporate events spaces, large scale LED installations, to stadium, arena and concert hall AV systems.
Responsibilities of these roles will include, but not be limited to the following:
- Undertake 3D modelling, analytical research and calculations, design work, measurement of noise and vibration
- Assist with preparation of reports, drawings, sketches, models
- Visit project sites for inspections, measurements, commissioning, and testing
- Develop, document, and present concepts and designs using 2D and 3D drawing tools
- Interpret and apply codes and standard
- Review engineering and architectural drawings
- Participate in meetings, design reviews, and coordination sessions with clients and design teams
- Develop solutions to design issues using listening, critical thinking, application of knowledge, and visual demonstrations to clients
- Bachelor’s Degree in Acoustics, Music, Interactive Media, Audio/Sound, Architecture, Physics, Computer Science, Mechanical, or Electrical Engineering
- Strongly demonstrated coursework in your field of interest
- Minimum 3.0 GPA or higher
- Professional demeanor
- Skills in planning and organizing
- Ability to communicate thoughts and technical ideas in an accessible way
- Attitude of taking initiative, enthusiasm, and eagerness to learn
- Evidence of past internship or extracurricular activity in the field
- History of technical presentations and technical writing
- Presentation skills with colleagues and clients of all levels
- Proven ability to perform in a deadline environment
- The ability to prioritize effectively, balance assigned work
- Exceptional organization skills required for our constantly evolving environment
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills essential for team-based working
- Master’s Degree in Acoustics or closely related field
- 3.5 GPA or higher
- A background/training in music practice, playing of a musical instrument can be useful
- Evidence of personal investment in academic or extracurricular field
For the Acoustics & Audiovisual position, one or more of the following are strongly preferred:
- Knowledge of fundamental of acoustics, fundamentals of vibration, engineering acoustics, noise control, digital signal processing, electroacoustics, audiovisual control system programming, audio DSP programming, human responses to acoustics and vibration
- Acoustic and electroacoustic modeling experience: CATT, EAST, Odeon
- Experience with recording, sound design, Foley, music for films, 3D sound, multimedia, interactive or generative sound design, live sound, video production, production/staging
Arup is the creative force at the heart of many of the world’s most prominent projects across our industry. We offer a broad range of professional services to clients around the world that combine to make a real difference to our clients and the communities in which we work.
- SF MoMA, California
- Delta LaGuardia Media Wall, New York
- Reverberation Chamber for Bjork’s Cornucopia Tour
- United States Olympic & Paralympic Museum, Colorado
- Tippet Rise Arts Center, Montana
- 2nd Avenue Subway, New York
- Steinway Hall, New York
Arup is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law. Individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation. Should you require an accommodation in the job application or interview process please let us know by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.