Our Engineering intern students have the opportunity to experience operations in a variety of food processing plants such as oilseed processing or refinery locations, corn dry or wet-milling operations, or industrial chemicals manufacturing facilities located in Decatur, Illinois. Internships are 12 weeks in duration during the summer. Our paid positions include fully-furnished, company-paid housing. Standard costs are reimbursed for relocating to and from the assigned location.
The Water/Wastewater Engineering Intern will apply technical knowledge and expertise to support on-going industrial water and wastewater engineering, technology evaluations, laboratory analyses, data mining and modeling for various sized agricultural industrial processing facilities.
They will provide engineering support for a variety of initiatives. The types of activities include field inspections of current operating systems, review of operational and laboratory data to assess and trouble shoot performance issues, engineering process design calculations and documentation, and vendor outreach for bid support, specifications, and coordination.
Essential Job Functions:
- Maximizing the safety, compliance, and reliability of water/wastewater systems.
- Document and organize water/wastewater systems information to provide updated schematics, design basis information, and other engineering system data.
- Laboratory analysis, sampling, and data analysis in support of projects.
- Logistical support and coordination with other team members are key elements of these efforts.
- Follow project objectives, policies, procedures and performance standards within boundaries of corporate policies. Put these in clear and concise work statements for the project team
- Equipment specification.
- Utilize independent judgment to solve problems, have excellent organizational skills to effectively handle multiple ongoing tasks and strive for continuous improvement.
- Working hands-on as well as being able to collaborate with operations colleagues.
- Providing technical support and training to others when necessary.
Ideal candidate will have experience or abilities in the following areas:
- Awareness of hazards involved with working around water/wastewater treatment systems including chemical injection systems.
- Commitment to always working safely by wearing required Personal Protective Equipment.
- Knowledge of water distribution and wastewater collection design.
- Technical competence in Chemical, Civil, and Environmental engineering.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications: (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills for working with water/wastewater engineers, plant operators, and upper management.
- Willingness to spend time in plant areas – tolerate extreme temperatures, walk long distances, stand, climb stairs and ladders and move through close spaces.
- Willingness to travel and stay overnight away from home.
- Ability to work effectively on a team as well as independently while traveling to remote plant locations.
- Ability to drive.
You will receive consistent feedback and mentorship throughout your internship and will receive a final evaluation at the end of your experience. Students return to campus with a new focus on learning through their application of real-world experience from ADM.
- Pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Chemical, Civil, or Environmental engineering
- Senior year or Post-Graduate preferred.
- GPA of 3.0 or greater preferred
- Adequate transportation to and from work
- ADM requires the successful completion and of a pre-employment physical screening, drug screen/alcohol screen and background check is required
- This experience is physically demanding, and relates to those who desire hands-on experience in a production setting. Some tasks may require lifting 30 pounds, the ability to climb ladders, and working in confined spaces (including tanks and vessels).
There’s a place at ADM that will engage your mind, stimulate your professional development, and satisfy your hunger to make a vital difference. Are you ready to find a place to feed your passion?
At ADM, we unlock the power of nature to provide access to nutrition worldwide. With industry-advancing innovations, a complete portfolio of ingredients and solutions to meet any taste, and a commitment to sustainability, we give customers an edge in solving the nutritional challenges of today and tomorrow. We’re a global leader in human and animal nutrition and the world’s premier agricultural origination and processing company. Our breadth, depth, insights, facilities and logistical expertise give us unparalleled capabilities to meet needs for food, beverages, health and wellness, and more. From the seed of the idea to the outcome of the solution, we enrich the quality of life the world over. Learn
ADM is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability and veterans status.